In Darkness Wins Gdynia Film Festival
With a total of nine awards including the Golden Lions Award for Best Film, Agnieszka Holland's In Darkness ("W ciemności") produced by the ZEBRA Film Studio is this year's undisputed winner of the 37th Gdynia Film Festival. In Darkness returned from Gdynia with the most prestigious festival awards. Apart from the Golden Lions Award it received awards for direction, male and female roles, cinematography, costume design, production design, film editing and makeup.
The chairperson of the Jury Dorota Kędzierzawska admitted that the decision to award the film the main prize was taken unanimously by the jury members.
The Jury of the 37th Gdynia Film Festival consisting of Dorota Kędzierzawska (the Chairperson), Caroline Libresco, Ewa Wiśniewska, Stephen Rea, Michał Leszczyłowski, Waldemar Kalinowski, Adam Sikora and Zygmunt Miłoszewski, granted the following awards:
The Golden Lions Grand Prize for the best film In Darknes directed by Agnieszka Holland
The Golden Lions Grand Prize for the producer of the best film In Darkness – Juliusz Machulski
The Silver Lions Award for Manhunt ("Obława") directed by Marcin Krzyształowicz
The Silver Lions Award for the producers of Manhunt – Małgorzata Jurczak and Krzysztof Grędziński
Special Prize of the Jury for the courage in the form and content as well as the artistic uniqueness for Crulic: The Path to Beyond ("Droga na drugą stronę") directed by Anca Damian.
– Agnieszka Holland – direction of In Darkness
– Piotr Trzaskalski and Wojciech Lepianka – the screenplay of My Father's Bike ("Mój rower")
– Leszek Dawid for directing debut or the second film You Are God ("Jesteś Bogiem")
– Agnieszka Grochowska – the female lead in In Darkness
– Robert Więckiewicz – the male lead in In Darknes
– Marcin Kowalczyk for professional acting debut in You Are God
– Jolanta Dylewska – cinematography for In Darkness
– Piotr Dziubek – score for Crulic: The Path to Beyond
– Erwin Prib, Katarzyna Sobańska and Marcel Sławinski – production design for In Darkness
– Joanna Kulig for the supporting female role in Elles ("Sponsoring")
– Dawid Ogrodnik and Tomasz Schuchardt for the supporting male role in You Are God
– Sebastian Włodarczyk and Piotr Witkowski – the sound in Crulic: The Path to Beyond
– Wojciech Mrówczynski – editing of Manhunt and for Michał Czarnecki for editing of In Darkness
– Katarzyna Lewińska – costumes for Elles and Katarzyna Lewińska and Jagna Janicka for costumes for In Darkness
– Janusz Kaleja – makeup in In Darkness
The Jury awarded honorable mentions to the filmmakers of the Secret ("Sekret") and Aftermath ("Pokłosie") for “the courage in bringing up important issues which have not yet been noticed in Polish cinematography”.